Amazing engine

I thought it goes without saying :3

May be help as start point:
Urho3DIDE
github.com/scorvi/Urho3DIDE
Or 06_InGameEditor
https://github.com/scorvi/Urho3DSamples

There’s actually no reason that a C++ editor would need to be part of the Urho repo. Actually doing just the opposite ensures that no project’s scope gets too large. Urho itself is (just) the runtime.

Once (if) a dominant and excellent editor project would emerge, we would be sure to advertise it in the documentation, while deprecating the script-based one, which is to some degree an engine API use example, though also useful.

May be 2 separate projects:
Urho3DPlayer - runtime game launcher
UrhoEditor - only for game editing with advanced functionality.

I personally would prefer it to be a part of Urho3D, because I don’t want to manage separate project.
Well, let’s first see if I manage to make something solid.

Hey welcome to the forums dude and good luck with that! Improving the built-in editor would be nice but if you decide to go 360 and for the C++ route, you can also check out Xu Jing and Aster’s Particle Editor, which is made using QT and a great starting point and reference, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

topic318.html

github.com/aster2013/ParticleEditor2D

Hi, thanks. I’m writing it in C++. I’d prefer to avoid using Qt (ever) and better focus on improvement of Urho’s default UI. I also want to make it to the master someday.
I’ve forked Urho and will be committing my progress, but for now there is nothing to see.

Do you have some kind images or sketches for your editor UI ? something like base blocking stage for level editing.

Nothing to share at this point.

I’ve decided to make the editor standalone. It will be easier for me that way. Now I can change the code style a bit. It’s really hard to breath without space within parentheses. :slight_smile:
Oh, and I’ve called it Aquarium :slight_smile:

From your profile I can tell why you like the engine so much :wink:

And why is that, I wonder? :slight_smile:

In fact I was writing my own engine for the game I’m working on, but then I remembered the gold words: “make games, not engines” and so I went to google to find something good (funnily I’ve started writing the editor instead).
I did the same search like a year ago, but I couldn’t find anything fitting my requirements. Existing engines (written in C++) are all huge and ugly, and they lack features too. Urho3d has almost everything I need ? it’s a game engine, not a rendering engine like Ogre (which is too big and full of legacy code), so I don’t have to waste my time writing I/O and stuff like that. I also like the way it’s organized.
Well, most people would probably pick Unity, but I hate it :slight_smile:

I should say “your profile picture” instead. LOL. Cat likes fish.

Oh, and I’ve called it Aquarium
:laughing:

I want to suggest an idea - show the startup window when the editor starts
on this startup window may be placed:

• editor title
  • editor options (shortcut keys mode)
  • links to documentation and wiki
  • images from one of known projects on urho
    Also on this window maybe placed scenes list from current project.

Something like this:

They changes this images from version to version.
In some way this is motivation for game developers who do game on urho do it better to get their games on the startup screen )

Now I got it.

Well, I might do it later, but for now such things are in a lowest prority. I don’t have much time to code, and the original editor is about 17k sloc.
Also I believe that things like startup screens and splash screens are actually counter-productive. But it seems that the first thing every beginner wants to do is to make one. Most of the time it’s the only thing they actually manage to do before dropping their project :slight_smile:

I want to put all my knowledge about UI design to try and make the most comfortable editor to use, ever. That’s my ultimate goal for this project.
For example, why do we have hierarchy window on the opposite side of the screen from attribute inspector? What do you do most of the time, when you select a node in the hirerarchy? Right, you are editing it’s attributes. :slight_smile: Why should you move the mouse over the whole screen for that? Now see this screenshot, isn’t it cool? :slight_smile:

Or why don’t we put the button to create a new node right in the hierarchy window, right in the place where you want to add it (node)?
An so on.
I have a huge list of such improvements, but the main objective now is to make the editor usable. :slight_smile:

I don’t have much time to code, and the original editor is about 17k sloc.
i’m think what you do not need copy original editor line by line (if only for testing purpose) because you got the same editor but on c++ )

isn’t it cool?
actually from my POV it’s handy and nicely until it keep these minimalistic UI style without using huge/big UI elements and large fonts, if UI elements are growing in size this are biggest mix of UIs they close view to main scene. IMO open(free) view to scene it’s main thing.
and if additional tool are close part of view it probably using auto-hide mechanism or shortcuts to hide this tool immediately from view.
in philosophical terms or art style i guessing that urho’s UI might be represent as “water” not as “rocks” or some thing solid.

I’ve just used that number as a rough estimate of the amount of work that has to be done.

There definitely will be a way to hide all the distraction and focus on building the scene. And I’ll make sure to minimize the space used by the interface. I have a concept of hierarchy tree that takes minimal space in width while preserving much more data than the current one. Especially in the cases there huge things like armatures/skeletons are displayed.

[quote=“rikorin”]I’ve been playing with Urho for a few days now, and I want to say that it’s absolutely great. While being able to do almost everything I ever wanted, it’s written in C++ (imo the only language suitable for games), and it’s free. The way classes are named, the way it has it’s own STL replacement ? I simply love this engine.
What I can’t understand is why I never heard of it before? Why the community is that small? It’s in active development and is very solid. I think it deserves more attention.
[/quote]
I agree. In my opinion it’s way more usable as Irrlicht, CrystalSpace and Ogre (the “three big free 3D/game engines”).

[quote=“rikorin”]
And I started to feel like I want to contribute to it.
Of course I can’t do anything serious now that I’m not very familiar with Urho’s internals, so I’ve started with something I can do. I think that the editor is one of the key selling points of the engine, and in some way it’s face, so I’ve tried to improve it’s user interface. Of course I quickly found out that things I want to do will require an extensive rewrite, so now I’m here asking you, where could I put my energy in a more effective way?[/quote]
I started and work on an (unofficial) Urho Wiki: urho3d.wikia.com/
I’m still doing most of the work there alone. Help is really welcome. It’s also not just about Urho but also about game development in general, like modelling and texture creation with Blender, audio recording and editing, …
I’m not really the editor guy, so you could for example add tutorials about the editor (if the existing documentation could be expanded or improved or made simpler). Parts of the wiki are aiming at total beginners, who have no experience with building software via CMake or setting up a toolchain or using something like the Urho editor. The beginner tutorials have lots of pictures, such tutorials helped me a lot getting started as a C++ beginner with CrystalSpace and later Ogre.
There are also two sample projects and more planned (the second one only like half-finished ATM and not yet updated to Urho 1.5): urho3d.wikia.com/wiki/Ideas_for_ … r_features
There are also several links to interesting Urho projects, forum topics and other useful sites. If you have or find something, add it!

Are you good with modelling and creating textures? My skills are quite limited in that area and you (or someone else) would be a great help creating more samples (and promoting Urho). The samples shipped with Urho are quite minimalistic and quite ugly (low resolution textures, character model with no texture at all, …). These wiki samples try to be mini games in various genres with focus on testing things out and documenting ways to do certain things.

Now I’ve read the whole thread and not just the first posts.
Seems like you started improving the editor or creating a new one. The few times I tried that existing thing, I couldn’t even load models and materials to preview them, so that may be a really good idea. :laughing: (maybe I should try that again)
Would be great to have it in a public repository to check it out, even if it’s just some reorganized UI or it can’t do much yet. Loading models and selecting materials would be already really useful for me (and reloading materials to see changes in a shader).
Also I would love to have a simple in-game editor in one of the sample project. I wrote an in-game editor for a 2.5D platformer I made with Ogre several years ago. Your editor is also in C++? Would be great to be able to put some parts together to make simple, user-friendly and custom in-game editors if someone wants something like that for his Urho project.

My English isn’t good enough to write tutorials. That’ll be embarrassing.

I doubt that my version of the editor would change that.

It’s already in a public repo https://github.com/rikorin/Aquarium, though I work in a branch which is not published yet. I hate to publish broken code. I’m a bit too perfectionist.
Also I wouldn’t expect anything for at least a month.

Seems good enough. :wink: I’m also not a native speaker and have too look up stuff often. Also I’m usually reviewing every change and could fix stuff if something is really not understandable or wrong.
The wiki does really need more content and I can’t write over every topic alone because I don’t know every area and don’t want to work myself into every area that would be interesting. Maybe we could make a system of “drafts” or “alpha articles”. Articles that are not fully published but are being worked on or are “planned”. I did that with articles about the two sample games. I wrote several pages but didn’t link them so they couldn’t be reached easily and only made them reachable when they were good enough and all content was ready. That could also be done with rough article drafts: pages that have only a few ideas and [TODO] entries on them, so that they can be filled/completed over time or by other persons. There are still several [TODO] notes scattered across the wiki.

Others do that all the time! ba dum ts :laughing:
Your code looks good so far, really clean style.

Do you have an idea collection or some kind of roadmap for the editor?
Do you want to use the Urho GUI?

I want to restructure the wiki anyway relative soon. I’m still not really sure how but some other kind of organizing. Currently the main page is one giant hub that links to everything. Should be more hierarchical and also more planned with idea lists, lists of stuff being worked on or are planned or would be nice to have.