Atomic Game Engine (MIT Urho3D Fork)

UPDATE: We’ve released the Atomic Game Engine under the MIT license on GitHub, github.com/AtomicGameEngine

Hello cadaver and team!

Firstly, I must say incredible work on Urho3D. It is simply a joy for development. Great job on the core, rendering, and integrating so many awesome FOSS projects! :slight_smile:

I’ve been hacking on Urho in my spare time for the last couple years. I made a Unity3D exporter, a Quake2 Renderer, hacked up some emscripten support, and a bunch of other prototype-y things that never saw the light of day.

A month ago, I decided to fork and start the “Atomic Game Engine” project. The focus of Atomic is to be able to use Javascript and C/C++ to ship games on Desktop, Mobile, and WebGL.

UPDATE: The Atomic Game Engine is now Open Source under the permissive MIT license! :open_mouth:

Atomic Game Engine 2016 Video Reel

Update: Game From Scratch Preview

Thanks again and looking forward to showing more progress, soon! You can follow the project on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AtomicGEngine

• Josh Engebretson
    THUNDERBEAST GAMES, LLC

Modernising Urho3D
[IDEA] New Urho3D Editor

Thanks for sharing!

I would strongly suspect that some of the changes like Emscripten support do end back up in mainline Urho.

Cool, it looks awesome.
BTW: Can you share your sample code and assets? If you can, I want to add a Lua script game sample based on your code in Urho3D.

@cadaver: That would be great. I’ll get the licensing sorted out soon (it’ll be either MIT or Apache).

@aster2013: Thanks! Yes, I pulled the assets from opengameart (opengameart.org/content/space-ga … k-extended) and the explosion is from an XNA example (which I think is also fine to redistribute). The scripts use the first pass of our Javascript component model, so they are already due for a refactor. You could probably do a more Urho-centric version of the game. The most current scripts are in the editor repository, I need to make an examples/tutorials repo which is nothing but the example scripts.

I published an update video on the progress this week.

• Josh Engebretson
    THUNDERBEAST GAMES, LLC

Looks awesome Josh! I am really looking forward to see where throw your opinions. Urho’s lack of strong opinions on structure and lack of turn key components seem like a really great place to round of some our edges. For instance we have had quite a few suggestions to create a trigger component in Urho. We have always suggested that you can make your own prefab and thus don’t supply a trigger. Also the Nvidia Shield has a tegra 4 and not a 3.

Thanks!

Ah yes, I have a Nexus here with a tegra 3, got it confused in the heat of recording video :slight_smile: I really like the Shield, great piece of hardware!

• Josh

[quote=“jenge”]Thanks!

Ah yes, I have a Nexus here with a tegra 3, got it confused in the heat of recording video :slight_smile: I really like the Shield, great piece of hardware!

• Josh[/quote]

Yeah I love my Shield. I got an early run and have some issues with thumb stick dead zones and the clicky dpad but other than that it is such a cool little device. The screen, speakers, and ergonomics trounce any other handheld. I have an Ouya which has the Tegra 3 and the Tegra 3 struggles. I can’t wait for the Sheild Portable 2 with full gles 3 support. Hello Dolphin!

Hello,Ive been tracking the progress of this engine,so far so good!But to be honest with you I cant wait one more day without testing it! Please make me a gift for this holidays and leave the page from github because Im ready to start developing in it! Thanks :unamused:

The tools & editor are private ?

Im very interested in this project, good work.

No angelscript support? Angelscript for webgl?

@buhb11: Thanks, we’re working hard on Atomic. It will be available in 2015

@Hevedy: Yes, the editor is a private repo

@lexx: Angelscript uses assembly code which won’t work compiled for the web. We’re focusing on Javascript and languages that compile to Javascript.

• Josh

[quote=“jenge”]@buhb11: Thanks, we’re working hard on Atomic. It will be available in 2015

@Hevedy: Yes, the editor is a private repo

@lexx: Angelscript uses assembly code which won’t work compiled for the web. We’re focusing on Javascript and languages that compile to Javascript.

• Josh[/quote]

I`m looking forward! But when you say ,It will be available in 2015`` this means January 1 or :confused:

The Atomic Game Engine now has a website: http://www.AtomicGameEngine.com

We’ve also published the latest engine progress video. It features 2D platformer physics, 2D lights with shadows, and Javascript IDE improvements

• Josh

@buhbb1: I really don’t have a better timeframe than 2015 at the moment, sorry. You could sign up for the newsletter on the Atomc Game Engine site if you would like to receive updates

[quote=“jenge”]# The Atomic Game Engine now has a website: http://www.AtomicGameEngine.com

We’ve also published the latest engine progress video. It features 2D platformer physics, 2D lights with shadows, and Javascript IDE improvements

• Josh

@buhbb1: I really don’t have a better timeframe than 2015 at the moment, sorry. You could sign up for the newsletter on the Atomc Game Engine site if you would like to receive updates[/quote]

This is nice. I see the update via Twitter today, nice changes, and have 2D light! This is needed to implement in the Urho3D

Have you tested the engine under IOS 8 . I wonder if there are any problems ?
Do you rely fully on vanilla SDL for compatibility between different platforms ?

I have a question! How much time does it take to compile the editor and the engine itself?Im asking this because Im also contribuing to godot engine and there the compilation time takes somewhere around 3-6 min,which is not quite pleasent.

I don’t remember you mentioning it in any of your videos, and your website only lists Windows and Mac as desktop targets.

Do you plan on supporting Linux, and not just as a deployment target, but for editing as well?

Did you used spidermonkey for Javascript embedding?

@sabotage3d: I have not deployed to iOS yet, however as all other platforms including WebGL are running there most likely won’t be any major issues. The SDL in ThirdParty is used for all platforms other than WebGL, where an emscripten-ized SDL2 is used.

@buhb11: Build times are well under a minute for everything on my Mac, this is entirely thanks to @weitjong’s excellent build system

@TiZ: Yes, there isn’t any reason Linux can’t be supported for editing and deployment, other than lack of manpower at the moment.

@amerkoleci: Atomic uses Duktape for Javascript (http://duktape.org), Spidermonkey is a huge dependency which would also complicate WebGL deployment