Basic material effects for rendering

The performance of PBR is extremely low to the point where the point where i cant think of a single platform that cant run a complex scene with PBR. Most of the heavy lifting is pre-calculated so there is not much of a cost. The diffuse model is still the same, and you can still use blinn specular you just add fresnel (very fast) for rim lighting/reflections and a geometry term ( very very fast) for ensuring incoming light is not lost withing a surface. I believe epic showed part of the rouge one (star wars) running in realtime using PBR + more and that tends to be as compelx as you can get as it is designed to mimic the real world. As for stylised i have sean everything done with PBR from low poly to realism and all existing materials should work perfectly fine with PBR as long as you scrap the specular map (easily replaced). So in theory it means that porting to PBR is a case of just using the right material path and make sure you have a neutral roughness and metallic so traditional textures done look out of place without roughness and metallic maps.

As for the image you linked i assume it to be done in Blender Cycles. If that is the case then it is likely using a BRDF identical to what PBR in games approximates so in terms of results it should be identical to if you set it up with PBR, although without added effects like DOF. All pathtraces to my knowledge simulate a BRDF of some form just out of the nature of their design. Take that as you wish but i cant imagine a single style or outcome you can do with traditional rendering that cant be done in PBR especially not for performance reasons.

Take that as you wish but i cant imagine a single style or outcome you can do with traditional rendering that cant be done in PBR especially not for performance reasons.

I’m comfortable taking your word for it at this point. You might have hit the nail on the head by saying traditional rendering. I am perhaps thinking of “non-traditional” rendering. I will experiment with PBR for my use-case further (when I tried it last time it seemed to slow down my scenes considerably, but it’s not unlikely it was my own fault) and will pass judgment then.

Also, when that render is done using Blender Cycles without faking the effects it takes unrealistically long (which is my point), however, that’s not important to this discussion. I didn’t mean to derail this thread with this discussion. Sorry about that Lumak.

Edit: My point at the start was that the fake BRDF Lumak posted was cool and useful for me where PBR over-complicated my life and slowed down my renders, and the explanations of PBR dragonCASTjosh provided in response to my questions were useful and suggested I might have been doing something wrong. So perhaps it wasn’t completely off-topic.

I’m happy to would you through it and help make things are working as intended.

I agree that the fake PBR is cool and there is probably is a good use case for something like that. I’m just concerned that the current use case is based on miss understanding

Made a lot of minor tweaks, such as resizing sequence frame textures, etc., and corrected post-process glow.

Blur5 and 3, sigma=2 (what’s checked in)

Blur9, sigma=5

I recently watched some gameplay of Yakuza 0 and wondered how they’re able to process so many marquee lights in the scene w/o performance loss. It turns out it’s a simple mechanic by creating a mesh with a set number of repeating geometry. In the pic below is a 3-bulb template geom repeated to fill the entire panel.

So is it a single instanced mesh with 3 bulbs, one of which is unlit, or 3 bulbs which are programmatically all lit or unlit? Or have I misunderstood what you meant?

It might make it more clear if I explain how I created the marquee light panel:

1. create a 3-bulb mesh, the uv’s for each bulb is placed at top, middle and bottom.
  2. duplicate the 3-bulb mesh and create a long column - in the gif above, that would be the one directly above the char’s head and goes to the top center of the screen - then combine the column into a single mesh
  3. duplicate the column mesh from 2 and place them left and right of the original to fill the panel
  4. trim excess mesh (bulbs) extending from the panel
  5. combine all the columns into a single mesh - done.

What you end up with is a mesh that uses single material with the same diffuse map and emissive map. What you see in the gif is an UVFrame offset sequence for the emissive map, changing the uv offset to bottom black, mid black to top black.

I hope that clarifies what’s going on in the gif.

Yes, that does clarify it, thanks.

Hi, all!

Could you help me create basic car glass? I mean the feeling of glass,
better not PBR way…

Recently added: https://github.com/Lumak/Urho3D-Greenscreen-UVFrame (added the link on my 1st post as well)