🏗 Edddy: a block-based map editor written in C++

I’ve been working on Edddy, a map editor that allows you to create worlds using pre-made sets of blocks. It can now save and load a map to and from XML. Dialogues have not yet been implemented though, so no destination picking. If you want to give it a try, you can find the controls here.
Its intended use is to build maps for KO, OGTatt and Blip 'n Blup. Edddy draws inspiration from Blender and Tiled and other open creation software.

Looks good, Modanung! Why do you prefer GPL over MIT. Is it so you can split the license into commercial and free, like Qt lib, in the future?

Nice one Modanung! Keep it up :slight_smile:

I must say I’m not very outspoken about either. But if I understand correctly MIT allows changing of the license which allows for proprietary forks without notice. I do not like the idea of that. Also its part copycat behaviour since a lot of software I use and like carries the GPL license. Like Blender, GIMP, Inkscape, SuperCollider, Tiled, etc…

Would you rather see it licensed MIT? If so, why?

Blip 'n Blup can now load the levels, btw. :slight_smile:

Nice work! I can see this being useful to people. :slight_smile:

Edddy builds as a standard Urho app and runs fine on Arch here.

If you consider licenses, there is also the LGPL. You can make your own arguments, I only mention it.

It’s your prerogative to license it however you see it fit, doesn’t matter what anyone else wants.

Coincidentally, I opened one of your source files and found the answer.

[quote=“Lumak”]
It’s your prerogative to license it however you see it fit, doesn’t matter what anyone else wants.

Coincidentally, I opened one of your source files and found the answer.

[quote]
// Commercial licenses are available through frode@lindeijer.nl
[/quote][/quote]

I think it does matter since picking a certain license might discourage people from contributing. Also I might not be fully informed or have overlooked use cases.

Thanks for reminding me I put that there. :slight_smile:
Financially I’m mostly aiming for donations. To be shared with fellow LucKey Devels and to finance LucKey Gatherings.
But my main drive is to propagate open source dogma and other freeing concepts - while supporting their opposites as least as possible (and creating stuff I like) - in hopes they will reflect onto our physical reality and create a world without war, climate apocalypse, hunger, nations or homelessness where we can eat our mushrooms in peace en then… space. You know, pushing the deadline for a better experience.