DungeonBot3000: GameDev.net Challenge Entry

I have just completed (as much as I have time for, at any rate) a submission for the gamedev.net Dungeon Crawl Challenge which has been running for the last 2 months and ends today. My entry is an ARPG Diablo/Path of Exile-alike. A couple work-in-progress videos:

I ran out of time to do everything I wanted to do, but it’s still pretty functional. 10 randomly generated dungeon levels, with a dual boss fight at the end level. Randomly generated dropped loot in traditional Diablo-clone style, with random modifiers. 2 skills: a Spin Attack (like Diablo’s Whirlwind) and a channeled Laser Beam attack. Random enemy modifiers such as Berserk, Reflect Damage, etc… It’s pretty standard ARPG fare, and you can tell I’ve been playing a lot of Path of Exile lately.

Anyway, if you want to check it out you can download it here. There is also a github source link; pardon the messiness, it was a rushed challenge entry after all. I didn’t get as much time in the last 2 months to work on it as I wanted, so some stuff is pretty hacky, and the UI is almost non-existent.

It’s written using Urho3D (of course), OpenGL back-end. There are almost certainly bugs. I would like to take the framework of it, and maybe turn it into something real someday.


Love the HP HUD. Really cool.

1 Like

Indeed. And it seems to be based on the work in this thread?

That thread was based on my original thread implementing the trick from simonschreibt.de. I actually missed Lumak’s work, though, so I might need to take a look at it since he probably improved it. My version still doesn’t handle transparency, hence the ugly thick ring around the bubble.

Edit: Yeah, he really did improve it. Gonna grab his code.

1 Like

Ah right that’s the thread I was looking for. Good thing I found and mentioned the other one then. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it is. I wonder if @Lumak has thought about making a PR for his stuff. Would be pretty handy to have that in upstream, since health bubbles aren’t the only place you might want to have a custom shader effect in UI.

Looks like it needs to be updated a bit. Not really working with current head.