Hellbreaker - FPS

Fast paced first person shooter.
Fight against dozens of monsters at once, trying to dodge your way to the exit alive.
Test your skill and see if you can score level medals.

Comes with modding support:

• Level editor
  • Extensible scripting, and script-side game features like monsters, weapons, pickups, and more.

Video:

Screenshots:

Please follow this project on:
Twitter | YouTube | Tumblr | Discord | Reddit

nice work :slight_smile:

Really cool. Congratulations on your milestone!

What lighting technique you are using here?

[quote=“Bananaft”]Really cool. Congratulations on your milestone!

What lighting technique you are using here?[/quote]

Deferred lighting. Most lights are shadowless points.

So, MSAA setting does nothing then :slight_smile:

Some places look very nice. Keep up the good work.

This is absolutely great!
So how yours level are builded? Did you use modularity for level assets or you are use one solid mesh for rooms ?
Did you trying use occluder option for walls to speed up rendering ?
Do you planning use shadows ?

Nice! this reminds me of Doom :slight_smile:

[quote=“codingmonkey”]This is absolutely great!
So how yours level are builded? Did you use modularity for level assets or you are use one solid mesh for rooms ?
Did you trying use occluder option for walls to speed up rendering ?
Do you planning use shadows ?[/quote]

I’m not using modularity, I don’t like it because it limits the level design and things tend to look the same. I have my own level editor which has similar workflow to BSP-based editors.

Yes I am using occluder option to speed up rendering for level geometry, since it’s made from, relatively few, big triangles.

I am using shadows only with directional light and level geometry for now. I might use billboards for enemies so shadows won’t be used anyway later on.
I’d like to use lightmaps + light probes.

Game design is inspired by it.

Why? Why so many people want to use baked lighting? It’s a lot of work to build and support, it’s hard to work with, has lots of limitations, requires rebaking on every change in the level. And all that for pale, washy, inexpressive and absolutely static result.

While with deferred lighting you can have flickering and blinker lights, moving lights, put a point-light on every projectile, weapon flash, hit effect, you can make every light on the level breakable, you can have enemies with flashlights looking for the player in the dark.

[quote=“Bananaft”]
Why? Why so many people want to use baked lighting? It’s a lot of work to build and support, it’s hard to work with, has lots of limitations, requires rebaking on every change in the level. And all that for pale, washy, inexpressive and absolutely static result.

While with deferred lighting you can have flickering and blinker lights, moving lights, put a point-light on every projectile, weapon flash, hit effect, you can make every light on the level breakable, you can have enemies with flashlights looking for the player in the dark.[/quote]

Dynamic and static lights aren’t mutually exclusive.

With baked lights you can do expensive stuff like bouncing light, glowing surfaces and more. The result will be much better looking.
From aesthetics point of view real time lights are the limited option.
With light probes you can use the lightmaps to light dynamic objects, which will take into account bounced lights and such.

There are ways to turn on/off baked lights, AFAIK you could have 2 versions of the affected lightmap parts and switch between them or something like that.
Or you could just use dynamic lights in that case.

Also while in development you don’t have to rebake the lightmap every time, or at least not in high quality.

Hey, I guess we are on the same boat here. :wink: Btw, did you figure out a solution for Urho3D to blend static + dynamic shadows?

Hey, I guess we are on the same boat here. :wink: Btw, did you figure out a solution for Urho3D to blend static + dynamic shadows?[/quote]
Nope. You could exclude a light that casts shadows from the baking but I don’t know how well it will blend.

Why? Why so many people want to use baked lighting?
just for in addition of theme of “lightmaps using” today find this topic : cybergooch.com/tutorials/pag … _rfom5.htm

Made some progress.
Bullet tracers, bullet impact sparks, muzzle flash, blood splashes, blood stains, HUD hands placeholder, better fireball placeholder, gameplay balancing, optimizations and more.

So awesome! Keep it up = ) I think this will become a very cool and known game once you finish polishing it.

Recent test videos:

Love the minigun test video. Nice work so far dude!

Looking good! I also like the mini gun, it’s OP.

nice, but minigun looking slightly light-weight. I guessing you need add some heavy effect for it, long starting to firing and add slow-movement with it. also i think will be nice looking with some effect like rollback-forces for hands when minigun do firing.

Longer spin time would be nice but I’d have to use an easing curve to make sure the start is quick so it won’t take too long before it’s usable.
Movement weapon sway is currently the same for everything. Making it weapon specific could be done.
Not sure what rollback-force means.