Importing complicated scene into Urho

Hi, all!

I have full scene with a set of different objects animated together.
Like 3 characters dancing and cubes rotating around them, everything made in Blender (no much
relevance, just as an example), exported as FBX or DAE. Blend is also available. I want this scene
to work in Urho as I see it in Blender. What is the process to
do this? Scenes can be different and have more stuff in them, I want to know some kind of generic workflow/approach to them.

Those are big words… they’re different enough.
What’s wrong with reattiva exporter?

What’s wrong with reattiva exporter?

It can’t export scenes. BTW, I can’t get your “big words” point. Elaborate?

Blender render gives you the classical 3d pipeline (dx9). Cycles gives st like PBR. Anyway I doubt you can get blender cycles shaders to work with urho by simply exporting… not sure anyway. didn’t tried for now. “Big words” means you don’t probably get wysiwyg…
“No scenes” means you’re trying to export things like skyboxes? If I’m not mistaken asset importer does import scenes…

Well, I did not mean that by “exactly” more like “geometrically” i.e. lets put materials aside for now.

AssetImporter can’t blender. I can do static scenes using Collada export, but I’m more interested in animated scenes.
Any ideas?

With Collada you can do animated ones too… mean you don’t need blender…

Actually it can - You need to check “Export Urho prefabs” and there will be option “scene prefab”. You just need to make sure that every thing is set up correctly, for example if You’re using export UV option, all models should have UVs.

Once again - it can, To import *.blend file You need to use ‘scene’ command (or You can use “import scene” in editor). It may not be the best solution, since all models will be imported as static, with no physics etc. (but with materials) also You’ll have to rotate whole scene in blender (blender - urho up axis mismatch). Because of that I wouldn’t recomend it to import ready scenes, but it’s verry useful to import large number of models at once.

Well, it looks like you did not use the tools yourself, so you don’t really know.

1. You can’t export actual scene using exporter - you can only export a model. That means
    if you have some stuff around model at some positions, these will not be kept.

2. AssetImporter doesn’t support .blend files. Not ones from Blender 2.7.x at least.

Also, please don’t pollute this topic with half-assed answers.

OK. Please don’t pollute THE topic. Or I will create new one.

Half-assed = recommendations which are not tested in practice.
Note that unlike most of the audience (it seems) I actually use engine and all its tools
and ask questions only on grey topics which either not documented, not obvious, hard to discover
OR unexplored field. Providing answers from Google search result (or other search engine) is pointless
as I have already read them and tried them. If you don’t have time to test your suggested solution, please
don’t suggest it. It just wastes everyone’s time and increases frustration. Each time you do this
a flock of newborn kitties is eaten by neighbour’s dog. Trust me.

So if I ask question I want to get practical answer, not theoretical. If you did some similar stuff or are interested to do some research, or have some practical hints, I’m really interested. If you thought I can’t use search so do that for me - please don’t.

Recommendation for use of Blender to Urho exporter for scenes.
It doesn’t support it.
https://github.com/reattiva/Urho3D-Blender/issues/66

Use of Collada export only works for static scenes.

Also I know I can do everything manually. I basically ask how it is done by actual people
who actually have this problem. This is workflow question, not a question about export tools.

1. I know about blender exporter and its limitations.
  2. I know about buggy Blender Collada exporter and its limitations and that I can use AssetImporter on that and recombine scene manually in script. This is a lot of manual labor.
  3. I know about buggy Blender FBX exporter and its limitations and that I can use AssetImporter on that and recombine scene manually in script. This is a lot of manual labor.

Please do not suggest tools without explanations.

And yes, I don’t believe you who have this task actually do this. I think somebody written some scripts OR
uses some crafty methods. So I want to know about these.

Looks like it works.

The very basic blender scene:

The very easy setup:

the urho reattiva plugin export options:

the obtained objects in file system:

the final result in the editor:

Anyway, some times ago I tried to import miku hatsune and failed… :disappointed:
what a shame… must’ve been the physics…
but I will try again…

By doing this you exported all objects with origin set to 0 and geometry offset. You can check this in editor.
You could also check the bug I linked here. Please think constructively - I have already passed all this.

facepalm facepalm facepalm

Please check the result and see what you got.

Also hint for stubborn - check python code for position XML values in scene/prefab output. Look hard.
After the result, please come back. I hope that torment is enough for you. Sometimes I wonder if people can read at all. I made short post, so even tl;dr’ers will be happy, explained things, added links to bugs, but still nothing… :frowning:

Detention for you:

1. Export to Collada. Import via AssetImporter. Look at scene in Editor. Check object origins.
  2. Export via Blender exporter. Load into editor. Check object origins and placements. Compare with 1.
    Provide results.

To be sure, by object origin I mean 0 in object-local coordinates, which is set in Blender.
Closely related to actual object POSITION.

Don’t try to invent anything, I know what it can and can’t do and how it does that.

Even just comparing xml data visually for scenes aquired via collada or Blender exportive should give you hint.

I guess @slapin is right here. I’m trying by switching various options in the exporter, but one thing is for sure: if I use the options as I did above (export scene prefabs only), and I open the scene in the editor, the scene is imported as a node with all object correctly placed as i put them in blender - anyway, node position in the attribute inspector of every object is zero. And that is no good. @Modanung, what you did exactly? Can you share your process?
While I’m looking that if I export one collective scene, the editor asks me to import as a prefab when I open the scene - I do, still the situation is as above - all object with zero position but set correctly - and the scene node alone instead has its own position with correct displacement in the attributes inspector…
Needless to say that setting position to local in the exporter gets all object to zero position in the editor… :neutral_face:
How does this work?

Anyway that could be only a bug in the editor… I have to try to open the scene from code and check objects positions…