Infested : a survival horror and investigation game

Hi everyone . i’m working on a game for a long time now (5-6 months in my spare time) , and i thought maybe i should post it’s current state. First of all few words about the game :

Infested is a survival horror and investigation game where you have to solve some cool puzzles, and collect clues.Actually if you liked the OLD Resident Evil games (RE2 , RE3 , Code Veronica) then you’ll probably like this one too.

The story in nuthshell : Scientists made a great leap in quantum physics , they discovered a way to open portals to paralell universes , but the experiment went horribly wrong… the rules of space and time became all scrambled and some evil creatures invaded our side. Your mission is to close the portal and save the world…

EDIT 06.11.2016
New video !

Here are some screenshots :

EDIT 13.04.2016
Weapon test

Some differences between Resident evil and Infested :
-TPS camera view instead of fixed cam angle.

• Puzzles are dynamic.While in RE they are just 2d sprites in infested they are interactive 3d objects (Rotate valve handles by dragging them or pressing switches etc)

The video looked really cool, and you’ve managed to build quite a big world in half a year. Something that caught my eye on the video was when you picked up an item, you had to move the mouse to the confirm button. I think a lot of new games use some activate button like E or F for confirming their action to make it a bit easier for the player. You might have something like that already implemented, but just thought bringing it up. I also liked how the cross hair changed to hand on things that you could pick up or use like doors.
Good luck with the project in the future.

It is very impressive
And how did you create this transition between two scenes? when doors opened… black screen… and we see new room (scene)

Looks great :slight_smile:

Looks amazing :slight_smile: Would you reveal some of the techniques that you used ?

Looking good so far and great job on the gameplay elements. Your demo scene and mentioning ‘evil creatures’ reminds me of the game Alan Wake though. :wink:

As for improving the video quality, try the ff:

-MPEG4 (DivX, Xvid, H.264) format
-1280x720 resolution or 1080p
-128k Mono or 320k Stereo MP3/AAC audio
-24,25 or 30 frames per second

If you have NVidia card then just use ShadowPlay.

Keep it up!

Hot damn, looking good so far!

:astonished: Very impressive! :mrgreen:

Amazing. After watching the video to the end at full screen, it did not give me a slightest motion sickness. i.e. you have done a great job at adjusting the FOV or something. Are you also the one who create those game assets? They look believable.

Thanks for everyone :slight_smile:

Well i’ve just thought the same thing and yes you are right i will change that…

Ofcourse ! :slight_smile:

[quote=“codingmonkey”]It is very impressive
And how did you create this transition between two scenes? when doors opened… black screen… and we see new room (scene)[/quote]

It’s very simple.At segment change i just release all the resources in the current segment and load the new one.It is extremely fast and ensures you can have literally unlimited levels. Most of the entities are derived from Urho3D::Node
So this way i can do recursive things in the scene (destroying resources recursively or load them)
I have a base class called INFNode which is derived from Urho3D::Node and has few virtual methods like :

// Loads this node’s static data from a file
virtual void onInitialize(Urho3D::File &fie);

// Builds this node (called when player enters in the segment)
virtual void onBuild();

// Destroys everything associated with this node but keeps the node "alive"
virtual void onDestroy();

// called by projectiles in the scene returns true if the projectile should be stopped (destroyed)
virtual bool onBulletHit(float damage, Urho3D::Vector3 &dir, Urho3D::PODVectorUrho3D::RayQueryResult &allResults);

So from this INFNode i have various other node types like :
INFDynamicMesh - holds a StaticModel component which is loaded at onBuild() and destroyed at onDestroy()
INFItem - holds a StaticModel and quatity
etc

and finally i have a INFSegment which simply calls onBuild() onDestroy() onInitialize() on it’s children recursively
Thanks to this technique i have an extremely clean and easy to read code , and its really fast (loading a segment with 37000-38000 poly’s is literally a blink of an eye)

Thanks ! Well it’s the fov and the player’s move speed and i set the character controller’s friction and mass at very low value. Actually setting the friction to 0 and the mass to 0.5 gives by far the best result unfortunately it has some issues that come from physics simulation (very thin objects on the floor like a sheet of a paper can block the player like theres a wall)

Regarding to level design and modelling , yes i did everything myself (except that revolver which is only placeholder for now , but i have already a bunch of weapons ready just need to create animations for them)

Great! In that case I suppose there is no issue to republish those screenshots and video clips to our main website then.

I was about to ask you about assets origin. Really impressive work.

I hope, that you don’t make collision mesh for every sheet of paper on the floor. :slight_smile:

What is your lighting solution?

Now, add some spooky ambient sounds. And keep on the great work!

Actually that would be really cool :slight_smile: (all assets are made by me including the models and textures and sound effects so there’s no problem at all)

[quote=“Bananaft”]

I hope, that you don’t make collision mesh for every sheet of paper on the floor.
What is your lighting solution?
Now, add some spooky ambient sounds. And keep on the great work![/quote]

Some meshes have collision , some not… like tree leafs , grass , has no collision bodies but other things have. I render the whole scene in bigest chunks thats possible. I presort everything by material before export. So i don’t want to create separate StaticModels for decals on the floor because that icreases the draw calls and material changes.

Currently the game runs constantly on 190-200 fps (thats the max fps as i get the same with empty scene) so the performance is really really great.

I use combination of baked AO + GI and dynamic lighting. The static scene use Baked lightmaps the dynamic meshes use Dynamic lighting.

Actually i would give my left ball if someone could come up with an idea how to implement subtractive shadows… I have some ideas but i didn’t get into Urho source that much yet…

Looking very professional, great work!

Amazing work ,
Can you tell us how do you model, that is what is your tricks to make such good textures and human models and animations of the hero? which 3d app you are using ?
How about time management ?how do you handle that ? (you said its in your spare time ).
also you can build small demo and we can test it if you like .

I agree with everyone here, this looks amazing. Damn, I should learn how to create art assets… my current skills are limited to only being able to create gui buttons, and bad ones at that.

Hi everyone , just few screenshots and some news :

• added water and particles
  • Have different footstep effects on different materials ,
  • walking in water will spawn some splash particles at each step… looks really cool :smiley:.
  • Started to write the first puzzle (i already have few for testing but this will be implemented in the game)

Before i release the first demo i want to improve the character controller… the current controller is a bit bugy in certain situations but i have a way beter idea that i just need to implement (to determine the isOnGround and canJump states i will use raycasting instead of collision check… should work better)

The sewers :

what a cool place to fight monsters… don’t you think ?

Sewer…

Fire :

what a cool place to fight monsters…
i don’t know exactly but i guess you need to work with some of common scary place or “fear factors”:
dark, silent, wet, cold, big place - wind sound, noise sounds( old wood sound, regular single metal sound from far ) …

[quote=“Dave82”]The sewers :
what a cool place to fight monsters… don’t you think ?[/quote]
Yes, Yes I do think it’s scary!

And next are selfies!
youtube.com/watch?v=EhAFyaObY6U :astonished:

[quote]i don’t know exactly but i guess you need to work with some of common scary place or “fear factors”:
dark, silent, wet, cold, big place - wind sound, noise sounds( old wood sound, regular single metal sound from far ) …[/quote]

There will be a lot of dark places.This is only 0.01% of the whole game world.Your first objective is to start the locomotive on the train station and go to the city.
There will be 3 levels.
1 the train station. (starts with an animation of the hero calling his wiife and waiting for the train.After he fells asleep and wakes up that people are disappeared , and some strange disturbing unexpected things happening , like giant planets appears disappears on the sky radnomly , creepy quantum events , houses cut in half , etc)
2 The city.(when you arrive the night will fall so you can expect dark areas after the train station part) Classic scenes like the hospital , mall , airport
3 The labs (typical experiment rooms and stuff)

Hovewer there will be a lot of enemies i still want to focus on puzzle solving and story.I don’t want to make an action TPS.

I don’t get that part… :confused: