Well i started the project in 2014 october. My first choice was Irrlicht (i didn't heard about Urho3D back then).Unfortunately after a short period of time i realized i will have trouble with it... I had to write everything from scratch.In few months i had sucessfully implemented the :
- Sound (DirectSound or Audiere)
- Particle Engine (SPARK2)
- Navigation Mesh (My own code from scratch using stdlib only)
- Scripting (My own code using stdlib only)
- Gui (My own code using Irrlicht's 2d drawing functions and a INFElement2d base class.Similar to Urho's UI except the quad vertex/index buffers were allocated dynamically so there was no batching.Actually it was quite primitive but it worked pretty well.I had checkboxes , buttons , tabs)
After everything was in alpha state i threw together the fundamentals of the game engine itself to test it.
Well it was very dissapointing... Without offending anyone , Irrlicht was a nice library in 2003... but the lack of modern Hardware support literrally killed the whole project.The worst part was the Skinning which ran on CPU.It was extremely slow... With 5 enemies and with ultra low resolution shadow mapping i had around 30 fps... It was dreadful. Also the built in stencil shadow was ultra slow and useless XEffects was a bit faster but had some issues with the OGL driver.In paralell i started to write a scene exporter for 3ds max which worked perfectly (and still does... i'm using it for Urho) .
So after a lot of struggling : Finding out audiere is linux and window only , SPARK2 was abandoned , NavMesh needed extra features (Offmesh connections , Extra optimisations for dinamic objects , etc) , lack of proper shadow mapping , lack of hardwareSkinning , hardware instancing , No xml support for gui (it was PITA designing GUI from c++) i just abandoned the whole project because it was too much for one developer... Not to mention the code i wrote was huge , and was really hard to have all that giant chunk of code under control...in the meantime various depressing posts have showed up in the irrlicht forums with titles such as "Is irrlicht Dead?" "Is irrlicht outdated?"... So i just put the project on the shelf and wait until i find some other engine. And i did !! In 2015 i found Urho3D.After i tested it i fell in love with it immediately ! It was a fast modern GAME engine with all feateures i need , it was open source and it was extremely easy to setup and use.
So i had to code everything from scratch but this time i could work on the game itself rather than writing a whole game engine from scratch which is a bad idea if you work alone ... At this point i had 0 models/levels/textures/sounds ready so i had to start to design levels and make textures.
Most of the time i use 3ds max.I'm using it at least 10 years now , so i feel really home in it's interface. For textures i use Photoshop , GIMP , and in some rare cases CorelDRAW.
For the animations i use 3ds max and most of the animations are made by hand (once i worked on a small fighting game so i have some experience with hand made animations) But for cutscenes i use Motion Capture (There are tons of them for free.Unfortunately most of them are dirty so you have to clean them first to eliminate twitching but after that they look quite nice)
So thats the story of the game in nuthshell i had to code it twice but this time i will finish it , thanks to the wonderful Urho3D !
Well i thought about that , and maybe once i reach some of the important milestones i will ! Actually this supposed to be a fangame so i think it fits more in crowd funding area rather than selling it on steam.
Hi ! Well it is just a standard material with a *AlphaMask technique.Since it is a fake transparency and can be rendered as a normal material , all your sorting/overlapping headaches will disappear once you start using it Define LIGHTMAP in the technique and put lightmap in emissive unit and voila you have lightmapped alpha mask