Metal. (MoltenVK) support for iOS an Mac devices

Thanks
For the update .
I will take a look at the logs during the weekend .

• What device are you using ?
    -You can try disabling the crash for now in your Xcode :
    Menu : Product -> Scheme -> Edit Scheme -> Run
    Select Options tab and disable Metal API Validation.
    Options -> Metal API Validation : Disabled

I fixed samples 09 & 10
Sample 07 - Needs more time to debug , will work on it next weekend

In addition :
Since Google supports Windows Angle Vulkan backend officilly (and not supporting Metal)
I added Windows Vulkan backend support using the same development branch (angle-vulkan) .
Windows would be used only for reference , and finding bugs on the Angle side .
So people that have a Windows machine and would like to try it , please read the WIKI on my Github

You’re on a roll :slight_smile: Me too!! Most stuff is just working how I expect, and I’m asking less stupid questions :smiley: I’m hoping to be able to build your code soon

MGKL2TY/A iPad AIR 2 64gb wifi 2014, Ios 11.4.1

Samples 9 and 10 are ok now. :smiley:

Here comes the biggest one.

11-12-13 Physics - Every time objects move, frame rate drops to 3-4 fps. :open_mouth:

ex 11 when the crates settles and when you throw at them 3 fps.
ex 12 it takes 20 seconds for crates to start rolling down.
ex.13 7 fps taking down the guys

Did I miss some building step, maybe?

EDIT: False alarm.
I tried latest Ios build from master, and it has the same problems… :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

It’s ok :slight_smile:

Just run release build configuration , you will see 60 FPS .

1. Choose Legacy Build System .

Menu : File -> Project Settings … -> Build System : Legacy Build System

1. Edit the project Scheme , choose the run action.

Menu : Product -> Scheme -> Edit Scheme -> Run

1. Select the Info tab , set build configuration to Release.

Info -> Build Configuration : Release

1. Still in the Info tab , Debug executable checkbox should be unchecked.

Info -> Debug executable : unchecked

1. Select Options tab and disable Metal API Validation.

Options -> Metal API Validation : Disabled

I had a similar problem in my first few days on Urho, frame rate would go below 1FPS - it could take several seconds for each frame! It had something to do with contacts, and only happened with debug draw enabled, I will try to remember the exact details.

Ok. Basically it has to run in release mode.
Physics is ok. Steady 60 fps. :open_mouth:

Aaargh :scream::scream::scream: I’m stuck with the dreaded

The request was denied by service delegate (SBMainWorkspace) for reason: Unspecified

I’ve gotta to clean everything and restart… f$%£*ing Apple… :confounded::confounded::confounded:

@elix22 going forward after cleaning everything
looks like XCode doesn’t like switching from debug builds to release and vice-versa…
15_Navigation, 18_CharacterDemo, 19_VehicleDemo are ok.
:test_tube::test_tube::test_tube:

Yes I am aware of this , seems to be an Xcode bug.
Initially release build was failing for me , I googled it and people were reporting the same issue .
The only thing that fixed it for me was choosing the Legacy build system .
Menu : File -> Project Settings … -> Build System : Legacy Build System

So my advice would be to use the legacy build system for both debug and release.

i quit working for That Fruit Company, but I can’t talk about it for a while

I had some spare time so I debugged this issue , it appears to be an angle-vulkan bug .
I communicated that to Angle development.
An issue was filled .and will be fixed , I will integrate it once the fix will be provided .

You can follow my discussion with the Google guys on this https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/angleproject/D2GNJ7wB1HA

Issue link
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/angleproject/issues/detail?id=3143

24_Urho2dSprite and 25_Urho2dParticle are ok.
23_Water has problems. Even in release mode and without debug, average frame rate is stuck around 45…

Read about the issue. What a nuisance. Memory hog calls for sure rejection from the app store… :confused:

Argh, finally found some time to go on…

27_Urho2DPhysics,28_Urho2DPhysicsRope,30_LightAnimation,31_MaterialAnimation,32_Urho2DConstraints are all ok

33_Urho2DSpriterAnimation there’s no physical button to test animations, rendering looks ok

34_DynamicGeometry
looks ok. Only the center triangle is all black. My mistake, or was it lightened?

20_HugeObjectCount - totally broken
759476 tris, 62339 batches, 3fps :open_mouth:

07 shows increasing resources consumption and falling fps

I fixed it for now (on my branch) ,specific use case in which multiple non-directional lights are moving in different directions.
Once Angle will provide a more general fix for the Scissor test issue then I will revert my fix.

23_Water has problems. Even in release mode and without debug, average frame rate is stuck around 45…

Yep , in this scenario it performs worse than the default legacy OpenGL/ES .
Current phase is to make it all functional , we didn’t reach the optimization phase yet.

20_HugeObjectCount - totally broken
759476 tris, 62339 batches, 3fps :open_mouth:

Did you try it in release build configuration ?
This specific sample is a nice performance marker indicator but no more than that , it’s not a valid use case in any game .
If anyone is making a mobile game that has tens of thousands of draw-calls each frame than something is wrong with the game design not the game engine.