Next release?

For core devs: Urho has accumulated new features and fixes quite a bit since last release. Should it already be time for 1.6, what significant work do you still have that you’d want in?

For myself, I have github.com/urho3d/Urho3D/issues/1370 in queue, plus clearing the recent pull requests which shouldn’t take long.

Look forward to the new release.
I’d like to point out some issues I just have about the build system.
I am using windows 7, VS2015 64bit, with git bash as the command console. I clone the latest master branch, and start the clean build. It configures successfully. But when trying to run make in the bash, when building tolua++, it complains a workable c++ compiler can’t be found. If I run make from VS command console, tolua++ compiles fine, but then when generating the libversion info it will causes error. If now I switch back to bash console, make runs fine. It seems like that

1. in bash console, tolua++ can not find the c++ compiler.
  2. in VS console, it finds the correct c++ compiler, but can’t run git to get the desired libversion info.
  3. in bash console, it can get the libversion info.

Not sure if it is just my machine or a general bug. Right now I can use both consoles to go on.

[quote=“yushli”]Look forward to the new release.
I’d like to point out some issues I just have about the build system.
I am using windows 7, VS2015 64bit, with git bash as the command console. I clone the latest master branch, and start the clean build. It configures successfully. But when trying to run make in the bash, when building tolua++, it complains a workable c++ compiler can’t be found. If I run make from VS command console, tolua++ compiles fine, but then when generating the libversion info it will causes error. If now I switch back to bash console, make runs fine. It seems like that

1. in bash console, tolua++ can not find the c++ compiler.
  2. in VS console, it finds the correct c++ compiler, but can’t run git to get the desired libversion info.
  3. in bash console, it can get the libversion info.

Not sure if it is just my machine or a general bug. Right now I can use both consoles to go on.[/quote]

try execute in bash console:

set "PATH=%PATH%;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\;c:\Windows\System32;"
call vsvars32.bat

and it will see VS

github.com/urho3d/Urho3D/issues/1167

Sweet! I was going to start merging all my code changes from 1.4 to 1.5 but if 1.6 is near ready, I’ll just wait for that and skip 1.5.

When is the expected release date?

“When it’s done.”

I know weitjong has the refactor-buildsystem branch going on, we very likely want that in first.

All good. I procrastinated merging my changes to 1.5 forever so waiting isn’t a problem.

[quote=“cadaver”]“When it’s done.”

I know weitjong has the refactor-buildsystem branch going on, we very likely want that in first.[/quote]

I have a number of things I plan to do in that branch. Most of them have already been documented in the GitHub issue tracker. However, I am not sure “when it will be done”. :wink:

It’s fine by me if it takes time; if you hit some significant stall just shout out and we can reconsider, but in general I’d say that as the work is already started, it’s better to get in the build system related changes before release, rather than wait to next version. And for those who are impatient the master branch can always be pulled for a reasonably well-working version :slight_smile:

Personally i want to make some improvements with the PBR but i dont think its big enough to hold back a release

I would like to update some old dependencies.

I’ve been wondering about this for sometime and thought I should bring it up before release.
I wonder if we can add a source directory for a complete project, i.e. using Hexon as an example

\Urho3D\Source\CompleteProject\Hexon\

Developers can contribute their completed project that they want to open source, and these project will not be tools or a simple samples.

*Edit - Never mind. Scratch this idea. I’d imagine the size of the repository once ppl start adding full projects.

Complete project(s) are a great idea, but the engine repo should be just the engine. Will just need to link prominently (e.g. from the doxygen documentation & website)

EDIT: probably the best & strongest way to signal that you’d want a project included as a link, is to simply make a pull request towards Urho’s documentation. The file in question is Docs/Urho3d.dox, at the bottom.

Would that mean adding a Projects using Urho3D: list to the External links?

We can create special wiki page for it, and every can add own projects there

That’d be the place in the documentation. The preference would be for projects that are good for learning.

Sample projects, especially the finishing games, are good sources for learning. I myself learn a lot from these projects, such as FlappyUrho, Dissolving, selection outline, Hexon, etc etc. We really need a good place to display them and give the authors the well deserved recognition.

Yes, having a web site that can provide links to completed projects would work. I’m afraid that w/o something like this, all those work would get lost eventually.

Does that exclude closed-source projects from being listed?

Add a showcase section for these would be nice.