Urho3d IDE

hey ho

i am working on implementing an IDE / Editor for urho3d. It is in the most parts just an c++ implementation of the angelscript editor.

for insperation, i am looking at github.com/AtomicGameEngine/AtomicGameEngine

here are some screenshots: imgur.com/a/iQazt

Features added:
[ul]Project Manager
IDE Framework
MenuBar
ToolBar
MiniToolBar
Hierarchy Window
Attribute Window
Project Window[/ul]

WIP Features:
[ul]
TabWindow
3d View tab
3d Editor
Editor Plugin System
[/ul]
other Features:
[ul]gui editor
2d View tab
2d Editor
node canvas
Component specific editors
Resource Editor
Importing / Exporting
Language Editor
Text/Script Editor tab[/ul]

i am implementing an Editor Plugin System like that used in godot. so that someone can implement an editor that only works with a specific component or resource type.

the editor specific stuff will be also used in the in game editor … it will be just like the scripted editor only that you can open this editor in your game if you want to test or manipulate your scene.

after the WIP Features are added i will work on an GUI editor plugin so that i can improve the look of the editor :-/ . (i allready added an implementation of memononen/nanosvg to urho3d so that you can load a svg file like a texture … and added a memononen/nanovg GUI Renderer that uses the native opengl implementation … i failed to port that to uhro )

is this needed ? i can put the source code online if someone wants to help …

Oh wow that’s really exciting, sounds like you’ve made some good progress on multiple fronts that I know a few of us were individually thinking about.

Please do share, I’d be interested in taking a look. In particular the Project manager and nanovg work you’ve done interest me.

This looks like it has potential to be awesome. I agree, please do share.

Have you structured it as a separate application that uses Urho? Some of the stuff would not be acceptable in Urho itself without improvements (for example opengl-only rendering for nanovg) but naturally in a separate project everything is fine.

I would really like to see something like this. This would help those who are new to Urho3D pick it up quicker and also could increase the speed of workflow. :slight_smile:

Looks good so far!

I am working on implementing oui-blendish (based on nanovg) for use within an editor, and then I was planning on expanding my current editor with more Urho3D-centric functionality. It looks like you went ahead and did all of that already though, but I’m still interested in giving the blending look.

it is a separate application and i will share this sometime this week … must remove old test / debug code.

@thebluefish : i wanted to use nanovg as an skin texture renderer for the uhro3d ui system. so you can define a skin style xml file and the nanovg creates the ui.png texture that you can use … so you could do the oui-blendish ui … but that is only in the idea stage ^^

I have also been working on a c++ Editor, that functions like Unity. Currently i am updating my system, but when i get a chance, i will post screen shots.

It is built using Qt for cross platform UI support. If anyone is interested in checking out the code, i have it hosted on my VSO account, but can give you access to it.

Screen Shots of the Unity Clone i am working on

1drv.ms/1F4RDpQ

For anyone interested in working on this, i am using an Agile template inside of VSO as i am experimenting with the process. All code is built on the Urho3D design, however the engine itself has been modified to use Direct3D 11 and OpenGL 4.0

[quote=“NiteLordz”]Screen Shots of the Unity Clone i am working on

1drv.ms/1F4RDpQ

For anyone interested in working on this, i am using an Agile template inside of VSO as i am experimenting with the process. All code is built on the Urho3D design, however the engine itself has been modified to use Direct3D 11 and OpenGL 4.0[/quote]

Nice…

I’m willing to help with a editor. I’m not familiar to angelscript but c++. I’m working on a Linux based Ubuntu 12.04 system using Codeblocks.

[quote=“NiteLordz”]Screen Shots of the Unity Clone i am working on

1drv.ms/1F4RDpQ

For anyone interested in working on this, i am using an Agile template inside of VSO as i am experimenting with the process. All code is built on the Urho3D design, however the engine itself has been modified to use Direct3D 11 and OpenGL 4.0[/quote]

Wow! Very nice work! You are sure this is a clone not the real thing right? :wink: Will this have support for custom c++/lua/angelscript components? Also you said that this will use DX11 and GL 4.0 but my comp doesn’t support those…

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version" OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.4.5

Could you add OpenGL 2.1 support please? :slight_smile:

As of right now, the engine itself is just a stipped down version of Urho3D. It could easily drop the original library into it, as i did not modify any of the method signatures, etc…

It currently supports AngelScript. The screen shots show running through the Roll-a-Ball demo from Unity Tutorials.

Also, it only exports to Windows Desktop at this point, although i have support for Windows Store and Windows Phone (AngelScript doesn’t work on Windows Phone at this point do to native calling not working, but trying to fix the asm code to enable it as well).

[quote=“NiteLordz”]As of right now, the engine itself is just a stipped down version of Urho3D. It could easily drop the original library into it, as i did not modify any of the method signatures, etc…

It currently supports AngelScript. The screen shots show running through the Roll-a-Ball demo from Unity Tutorials.

Also, it only exports to Windows Desktop at this point, although i have support for Windows Store and Windows Phone (AngelScript doesn’t work on Windows Phone at this point do to native calling not working, but trying to fix the asm code to enable it as well).[/quote]

Nice! When you are going to add support for another language could you add c++ first? Lua is nice but C++ is critical for code that is performance critical or memory needs to be conserved using special techniques…

You have done an amazing job so far mimicking Unity’s interface. At first I wasn’t sure if you had modified Unity’s theme slightly and posted those pictures. But these are legitimate! Could you set up a github repo with the source? This might help others to improve the project, find/fix bugs, etc. :slight_smile:

When you say add c++ what are you referring to? currently, you build the scene, save it, and then when you export the project (Build it), i produce a solution file with the engine and source code readily available to be modified.

I am currently using VSO as i am testing it out for work, and seeing how the Agile work flow works in it. If you want access to it, i could probably add you to the project and you can pull the source via visual studio.

@NiteLordz, the work you’re doing sounds fantastic, but I feel like I need a lawyer before I should touch the source or be involved in it :astonished: If you post a binary (windows), I’d use it :smiley:

Yah I agree… I don’t really want to work on a project whose intentions are potentially mysterious…

Are you intending on making this into a commercial product and that is why you don’t want to release the source code? If so I don’t want to work on the project. Sorry. This project is still pretty small and while it is growing I feel that tools for the engine should be open source or the focus might move from improving the game engine to making products for the engine… I am not comfortable working on a project unless it is clearly denoted with a open source license…

If you just don’t like github then you could use codeplex or bitbucket.

Oh this is not for commercial use. It is completely open source. The only reason it isn’t on git or codeplex I because I’m playing with visual studio online for the agile methodologies as my work will be transitioning into them in the near future.

I can definitely put the code up here as a zip or what not if anyone wants to looks at it, but I don’t want to maintain two repos.

Even if you want to check it out through vso, I believe you can view it, if I give you permission (email) to the project.

[quote=“NiteLordz”]Oh this is not for commercial use. It is completely open source. The only reason it isn’t on git or codeplex I because I’m playing with visual studio online for the agile methodologies as my work will be transitioning into them in the near future.

I can definitely put the code up here as a zip or what not if anyone wants to looks at it, but I don’t want to maintain two repos.

Even if you want to check it out through vso, I believe you can view it, if I give you permission (email) to the project.[/quote]

Ok! I will send you a pm with my email so you can add me. :slight_smile:

hey@ all

i think it would be great to work on one editor together … so should i join NiteLordz and work on the (qt based ? ) Editor or should i resume my work, which uses the Urho3d UI system ? a hard question indeed :-/ :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“scorvi”]hey@ all

i think it would be great to work on one editor together … so should i join NiteLordz and work on the (qt based ? ) Editor or should i resume my work, which uses the Urho3d UI system ? a hard question indeed :-/ :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

The engine that i am working on is a very stripped down version. Really it is just a place holder of sense. I ripped apart Urho3D so i could have a little more control of it. I removed SDL, and run my own platform subsystem. I use Direct3D 11 and OpenGL 3.x for graphics.

I don’t have the full feature set of Urho3D at this point, but i have it on a roadmap to include. The reason this was done, was so that i could use the GPU for more functionality (Particle Systems, Post Processes, etc…)

With that said, the Editor itself doesn’t rely on my version of Urho3D, that much and would be fairly simple to drop back on top of Urho3D, i believe.

So there is a few options that can be achieved here.

Let me know everyone’s thoughts.